Question
Posted by: Blaah | 2009-06-29

Dominace question

Ok so i have the following dogs in my yard:
7yr old female spayed (chow mix)
2 yr old male neutered (lab gsd mix)

and now introduced a 11 week old male (mix medium to large breed)

now i was convinced my female was the dominate one in my pack
my husband disgreed

anyway did i make a mistake introducing another male?

should i have gone for another female
bearing in mind the reason for the new pup is cos the chow is getting old and the lab is hurting her during play so we decided on another pup to take some of the attention off her. (I know he far to young and small to do that job yet, but brinign an older animal i felt would have caused problems)

There hasn' t so far been any serious problems except for the normal corrections on the pup when he bugs the others too much or tries to climb in thier beds when they are sleeping, they allow him to eat from thier bowls (he has his own but still you know pups).

the only thing that worried me was yesterday the three were playing and the pup was barking at the chow and all of a sudden out of no where the chow and the lab went for each other. Now they have tiff anyway every once in a while but the lab would not back down till i approached.

they tiff especially when other animals run past or gate.

any way just being cautious.

thanks for any advice
and we will be taking pup and lab to doggie school together

Dear Blaah

Always support thr most dominant dog in his or her position. If you get this wrong the fighting will get worse.

1

it sounds to me that the pack are readjusting now with the new addition..perhaps they need a little more time to settle down. sounds like you' re doing well though !