Question
Posted by: ANON | 2010-05-17

DOMESTIC WORKER

Good Day, please can you help....I have a domestic worker working for me for the past few months (I think this is her 3rd month) we have not signed a contract as I want to see how she works first. I need to know if I can let her go at the end of this month without her taking me to CCMA? She is not performing up to standards that I want. I battle to talk to her as she does not understand English properly. I keep asking her to do things and they do not get done properly. I even write it down as I noticed she could read, but still she forgets. On Friday I received my telkom bill and she has used/abused the phone in calls amounting to R462.00 up to that day....there might still be more. So I questioned her about it she confirmed that she did and I told her I am taking the money off her wages. There are some instances where the calls are lasting up to 40minutes, then she leaves for the day early at 2.30 without having completed her duties. I have given her a final written warning as the offences are serious. Today she came, she left early at 2.15 without completing the ironing, after I just complained about it on Friday....I asked her why she has not finished.....she said " I have to run" ?? meaning she is in a hurry. I cannot take this anymore and would prefer to get someone with more experience as this is her first job. Her first day here she had someone I trust completely and works well to train her, so there is no excuse. Am I in my rights to ask her to leave at the end of the month? Thank you

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Re: Domestic Worker

Your domestic worker is a full time employee and in fact can go to the CCMA if she feels that she has been unfairly dismissed. However, I think that you should have a disciplinary hearing with her with regard to abuse of the telephone calls and the incompetance at her job.

1
Posted by: Labour lawyer | 2010-05-31

Re: Domestic Worker

Reply to Labour lawyer