Question
Posted by: katlego | 2010-03-25

domestic worker

I am battling to reason with my helper. she is 42yrs and im 30yrs and helps me with cleaning and ironing on saturdays.

she catches a bus from her place to mine and now she wants me to collect her from the bus stop to my place and when she is done working, then I need to drop her back. the distance from my flat to bus stop is 5 blocks away and I have walked it several times when my car was broken and its ok. She works for other people during the week and she says they transport her.

other helpers coming to our flats, get off the bus and walk to the flats. but my helper wants me to collect her by car and she has not given me any valid reason why she cant walk. i pay her R120 per day and she does washing for myself and my 5yr old daughter and cleans the 1bedroom flat.

my washing machine is temporarily out of order and she complains a lot that she has to wash by hand.

she is a talkative person, while im quiet person and I feel as if im being order around.

her work is very good. but its difficult if im talkin and before i finish my sentence, she''s already talking and telling me what to say. she started helping me 2 weeks ago.

im not sure how to deal with this matter. when she comes this weekend, i want to suggest to her that if i collect her from bus stop, then i will deduct R10 from her salary of R120 per day, then she will come out with R110. the R10 will go for my petrol costs. how else can I deal with matter?

Not my area of expertise, but the other readers seem to have useful comments

6
Posted by: Purple | 2010-03-26

Sit her down and explain to her that you are not asking her to walk an unreasonable distance.

Remind her that she works for you and not the other way around, and that even though you are younger than her, you are her boss.

I suggest that you draw up a job description for her and sit with her and clearly explain what her duties are. Make sure she understands that washing of clothes is the duty - and whether it is done by hand or by machine is not relevant. Explain to her that you expect her to be able to get herself to and from work.
Tell her to go home and think about whether she can comply with these conditions or not. Tell her that if she can, then you don''t want to hear more complaints and that if she can''t, then she should decide whether she would rather work for someone else then. Tell her that she is welcome to remain with you while she looks for other work, and that you are not telling her she must leave, just pointing out that someone who work sfor you is going to have to comply with those requirements and you are not negotiable on them.

What you are expecting is not excessive. I handwashed my own clothes for two years while I saved up for a washing machine. It is hard work, but it is quite possible to wash clothes for an adult and a child and to clean a flat in one day. I washed my own clothes by hand, did my own ironing and cleaned a two bedroom flat and did my cooking every week. It can be done. I" m sure that when you have not had someone to work for you that you were quite capable of doing this yourself too, so you know your expectations are quite reasonable.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Happiness | 2010-03-26

Replace her, there is a lot of honest help out there. You don''t want to violated in your own home!

Reply to Happiness
Posted by: H | 2010-03-26

Sy is so arrogant soos wat hul maar kan wees. Volgende week gaan sy nuwe eise he. Laat haar gaan en kry iemand anders.

Reply to H

Posted by: Woman | 2010-03-25

Not quite a psychological question! You always need to work within the law. And by law, no employer is under obligation to provide transport to employees. Make her an offer, if she doesn''t want to accept it, give her notice and find someone who is willing to work for their money. There are so many people out there desperate for some kind of income.

Reply to Woman
Posted by: Kate | 2010-03-25

Get another domestic...

Reply to Kate