Posted by: Eddie | 2009-01-12

Domestic Worker

I have had a good African girl working 6 hours a week for me, for the last 11 years. She is over 60 years old now and cannot cope
no longer as she is not well. She is on a Government Pension. What are the rules for me to pay her off to retire and what notice
should she be given? She earns at present a weekly payment of R125 Please advise?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Re: Domestic Worker

It is suggested that you consult with her with regard to her retirement. If you go through a retrenchment program it is a dismissmal for operational requirements you would lpay her one weeks pay per completed year of service i.e. 11 weeks pay.

Posted by: Eddie | 2009-01-13

Sorry context was not correctly written calling her a girl, as I no she is a mature lady.

Reply to Eddie
Posted by: Birdie | 2009-01-13

Please don' t call a fully grown women who might be a mother to many, a girl.

Reply to Birdie