Question
Posted by: Emma | 2008/07/21

Doing right or wrong.....

Dear CS,

I need to do this right but how I don' t really know. I few weeks ago I had a fall and hit my head. 10 days later I went to see the Doc. He suspects a hairline fracture in the skull. He treated me with meds and booked me off work for 5 days to rest. I have two daughters whom I did not tell about the fall when it happened, only told them once I had been to the doc. Now my daughters are both cross with me for not telling them right away. My argument is that I do not want to worry them all the time with my problems. They have their own lives to lead and their own set of problems to worry about. I really don' t want to hurt their feelings, but I also don' t want to bother them when I have a minor crisis. How do I handle this situation?

Thanks for your time.

Many of us have falls, and many of us hurt our heads ; you did the right thing in checking with the doctor who was able to make sure that there was nothing serious wrong. Now, there would surely have been no harm in telling them,. not so as to alarm them, but so they'd know. Just explain to them why you didn't in the nice way you did within this question

3
Posted by: Maria | 2008/07/22

Hi Emma,

It' s difficult to find the balance between being too demanding and too independent... Why did your daughters not like the home?

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Emma | 2008/07/22

Hi Maria,

I guess you are right about wanting to know, but I did not want to worry them at the time. Anyway i am 52 and my girls are 24 and 26. As I am a disabled person I am a more demanding mother as it would normally be the case. Living alone does not help my situation. Last year I made enquiries about moving into a home for disabled adults, but my girls did not think it was the right place for me. Sometimes I find it difficult to live alone (and lonely), but I don' t know how to go about moving into a home. I wish I had someone older in my life who could give me advice on what to do. But there is no family besides my daughters.

Reply to Emma
Posted by: Maria | 2008/07/21

Emma, how old are you, and how old are your daughter? A skull fracture, even hairline, I wouldn' t describe as a minor problem. It' s not like you broke a nail or lost your keys! If you were my mom, I would want to know about it.

Reply to Maria