Posted by: LINKA | 2008-12-04

I only do cardio (running) on a treadmill 3 - 4 times a week for 40 minutes.(I walk, sprint, run etc so that my body don' t get to use to only running) Is this excercise together with a healthy eating plan enough to loose weight and get rid of a bit of flab I' ve got. I am 32, weigh 60kg and am 1.63m tall.

Hi Linka

It may be enough to lose weight - that is unfortunately a question that I can't answer accurately, because there are too many factors affecting it to be able to say yes or no. There is diet, your current weight, the intensity of your exericse training, the volume, the frequence, genetics etc.

So many factors affect it that it is therefore a guess. Looking at each one individually helps though. In your case, the volume and the frequency of training are not too bad - 4 days a week is good, between 30 and 45 minutes per session is also very good. So that means you are doing those components optimally. The missing ingredient, often, is intensity. It's difficult to measure intensity but many people make the mistake of either going too hard, or too easy. Too hard leads to injury, too easy leads to slow progress. So you have to find a balance. Generally, 45 minutes of exercise that leaves you feeling tired by not exhausted is good. that's what you aim for.

You're not exactly overweight though, and so what I think might be good to add is some weight training. I know you are probably not at a gym (or you'd be doing it already), and that's fine, you can do body weight drills also. But some regular crunches, squats, lunges, tricep dips and pushups (and maybe some dumbbell exercises) will help you quite a bit, because you can then add toning to your goals. It's just difficult sometimes to lose weight, and people confuse this goal with wanting to tone. So I'd add toning.

Finally, diet is so key that it's worth looking at. I know you say you're eating well, but whether this is true or not is subjective. So it may be worth it to have that seen to, and make 100% sure. You can do everything right, but if diet is wrong, nothing works.

Posted by: Anna | 2008-12-05

yes it will certainly help alot but you must also do strengthtraining about twice a week for optimal results together with stretching or yoga.on rest days to prevent injury.good luck

Reply to Anna