Question
Posted by: Annalise | 2011/03/26

dogs who listen and those who don''t

So sorry - the code I had to enter was unclear and then the subject was removed from my message.
What I asked was: are some dogs just " bad" ?
I ask this because in my home, my parents'' home, my children''s and friends'' homes, at some stage there has been just one dog in the household who is hard to train from day one, naughty, disobedient and not entirely safe and remains that way throughout life
This although all the dogs in the homes are loved and disciplined in the same way- obviously allowing for " personality"  differences as one does with children- yet all the other dogs were easy in every way, picked up obedience and manners almost instinctively.
This has fascinated me so I have asked a lot of questions and there is no relation to breed or gender or whether the dogs are neutered or not. The only possible cause is bad beginnings but the majority of the dogs with bad beginnings were easy problem free pets. I can think of two examples of these last-mentioned who would have had good reason to hate all people and other dogs, but they are sweet and loving.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Annalise, good question! In my own experience i have come across very few 'bad dogs' and when i have it has been the result of unprofessional and backyard breeding where the genetics of the dogs to be bred have not been looked at.
The rest of the dogs i have dealt with with behaviour problems have really only been a lack of owner knowledge and training which could have been solved right from the beginning. People do not do this on purpose, they just have not been taught correctly.
Difficult dogs - yes come across many! My own border collie Brady is a prime example. He performed every problem behaviour you could think of and he is very well bred with wonderful parents. Sometimes i think it is that these dogs end up with the people they do in order for us to widen our own horisons! Take care, Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/03/27

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert