Question
Posted by: Jojo | 2011/05/26

Dog''s tragic death

Dear CV

Our little Pretzel (Xchi-jack russel died a week ago. she was 3 years old and died trying to give birth to her pups. Our family (husband and son and daughter) are distraught over the loss of this dog that was picked up on the roadside at 4 weeks.

We have loved her very much and the children were really excited about the puppies so were all our friends and family. I, however, feel that I failed her somehow. She was suffering and I didn''t know. I called the vet the night before about her drop in body temperature, but he said it is normal. We stayed up with her that night and left her for a while the next morning.

My husband went home to take her to the vet but she died together with all her pups. The vet says that the pups were extemely big (Jack Russel dad) but I didn't know that.

We have two other dogs (Ridgeback and Jack Russel) who we also dote on but I cannot get over the feeling that I failed our doggy. I cry every morning and cannot speak about her to others.

Hello Jojo,

I am sorry to hear of your loss.I am not at liberty to say whether you are responsible or not for the loss of your beloved dog.

Please remember that we learn from our experiences and then move forward with that information to better our knowledge and understanding.

Whelping bitch – what to do and look out for
• Most bitches whelp during the night
• Loss of appetite
• Slight temperature drop from 38.5ºC to 37.5ºC.
• Restlessness and the need to continually relieve herself.
• Shivering and abdominal contractions.
• Rupture of the amnotic sac – breaking her waters.
• Once contractions start the bitch may start to push. If no pups are born within 2hrs of this stage then seek veterinary advice immediately as there may be complications.

Once again, I'm sorry for your loss, Jojo.

regards
Dr Campbell

2
Posted by: Jojo | 2011/05/27

Dear Dr Campbell
Thanks.
Kind regards
Jojo

Reply to Jojo
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/05/27

Hello Jojo,

• Most bitches whelp during the night
• Loss of appetite
• Shivering and abdominal contractions.

regards
Dr Campbell

Reply to CyberVet