Posted by: Liesl | 2009-01-12

Dogs - stinky breath

Both my dogs have been eating Vets Choice for about a year now, before that they were on Royal Canine but it just got too expensive.
They both have a terribly stinky breath at the moment and the teeth are discolouring.
What can I do about it?
Thank you.

Dear Liesl

Daily brushing, mouth wash and chews.

Posted by: Megs | 2009-01-19

Check that their isn' t a rotten tooth in their mouths. My pooch had a rotten tooth in the back of her mouth and thats why her breath stank, took her to the vet dentist and he cleaned and removed the rotten tooth, no more stinky breath!!

Reply to Megs
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-12

Give them hooves to chew on, and large beef bones. If it doesn' t improve, talk to your vet. You don' t say how old your dogs are - if they' re mature, then perhaps they must have their teeth professionally cleaned - this isn' t just for cosmetic or aesthetic purposes - dental decay and gum disease affect the overall health of your dog, and may in fact lead to cardiac problems. It' s really worth addressing this for the benefit of their long-term health.

Reply to Chill