Posted by: zena | 2009-03-10

Dogs smell

My two Jack Russells smell terrible and when I pet them I find a black residue on my hands (although I comb them often). Are there any products you would recommend that might help deodorize/clean my dogs? I haven' t bathed them since they were puppies and I think it might be too traumatic for them.

Dear zena

Good quality dog food reduces the amount of dog smell. They will not post traumatic stress syndrome if you bath them. It can also be full anal glands.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-10

Does their environment perhaps cause this?

I ask because I know of one dog, for example, who likes to walk around in the garage under the car, and picks up all sorts of gunk on his back and tail...

But if there' s a smell - have you asked your vet? Is their skin otherwise healthy-looking? Do they scratch? Do they have bald patches?

Reply to Chill