Question
Posted by: Jay | 2010/06/07

Dogs safety

Hi there, I really hope that you can help me. I have a dog for a year now and he is a German Sheperd crossed with an alsation. He is a loving clever beautiful dog. We put him in our back yard and he seems to jump over everytime. We have high Vibricreate but still he manages to pick up speed and jump over. He runs all the way around the block and then sits on the stoep. He was fine there until the kids in the neighbourhood would tease him. This then resulted him in chasing one of them and the aunt came biting my head off regarding this (he did not bite the child). We are not in the financial state to put front gates on. There is a gate along the side. He is in the garage for 2 weeks now. We lifted the Lower part of the vibe yest and finally he could be outside, but then he jumped over again!!! I dont want to put him in the garage forever so I was wondering if there are any ideas out there to keep him at the back? thank you very much!

Hi Jay

Try some of the following:

Environmental enrichment - introduce toys/games that will keep the dog entertained.

Walk the dog on a regular basis - will will help him release all his energy and make him tired.

Have a word with your neighbours and ask them if they could please stop annoying/teasing the dog.

I hope this helps.

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/06/08

Hi Jay

Try some of the following:

I hope this helps.

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2010/06/07

A German Shepherd IS an alsatian - it''s the same breed.

Do you take the dog out regularly for walks? Does he have anything to do where you keep him? A German Shepherd is a working dog and needs to be kept exercised and occupied, else he will become frustrated and destructive.

You also don''t say how big your back yard is. Is it big enough for a large dog? Can he see outside anywhere? If he is locked in a small concrete ''box'' all day, that is not adequate. If you don''t have the space for him, or the time and energy to exercise him properly, it might be kinder to see if you can find him another home.

Reply to Chill