Posted by: Marileze | 2012-11-14

Dogs not eating

Hi, I hope you will be able to give advise? I have a 9yr old spaniel and 3 yr old basset. The they never used to be picky eaters, and would eat their pellets twice a day. I don''t know what happened but they suddenly lost interest in their pellets and became very thin. I took them to the vet to be weighed, got them some de-worming tablets and off we go again. Still, they don''t want their pellets, now the basset started begging in the kitched for human left overs. As a rule I don''t like feeding them off our table, cause it''s not good for them, but I will spoil them sometimes with a big bone or something. Now this is ALL they want to eat. No more pellets, no way and they are getting thin to a point where they look sick. I would sincerely appreciate any advise you can give? Regards Marileze

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Marilize, I would run by your vet that the dogs are still not interested in eating. If there has been a worm infestation it is not always solved with one lot of deworming and you need to bring your vet up to speed as to what is happening here.

I totally agree with you regarding left overs and human food. Dogs should eat dog food and the odd pieces of chicken etc can be used as either training treats or occassionally put in their bowls. If you start feeding from the table the dogs will keep on begging and ignoring standard dog food.
Would suggest that in addition to checking with your vet, you put the dogs food down twice daily as you are doing now, but what is not eaten within 10 mins is picked up and put in the fridge rather than left in the bowl.
this normally gets dogs to realize that it is food in bowl or nothing. It will take a few days to change, but this method does work. when you do give odd treats, try as above - either added in their food bowl or used as treats for good behaviour. Thks and do let me know how you go. Scotty