Question
Posted by: Lieke | 2011/09/27

Dogs ignoring each other

our lab/ collie (12 yrs) and dachhund/pincher (3yrs) have been ignoring each other for some time? Routines have not changed, however the lab/ collie struggles with joints, and the other with allergies on his skin. They further more are not eating properly. any suggestions or ideas. Its terrible having both dogs sleeping the entire day and not interacting.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Lieke, nice to hear from you. In all honesty I really would'nt worry about it. Many dogs as people do, tend to slow down and play less when they are older, but I am sure still enjoy the company of another dog around and would miss their companion if it was not around.
With regard to eating less, this is also normal in most older dogs as in humans. I would however, have a word with your vet to be on the safe side and perhaps consider changing the dogs slowly onto a senior dog food.
What I have found very helpful with older dogs is to raise their food bowls off the floor (on top of a brick or similar) as it is not always easy for old joints to bend down.
Take care, Scotty

3
Posted by: Scotty | 2011/09/28

Hi again, it could be but to be on the safe side i would take the dog to the vet for a check up. Also when he is happy with your dog, increase the walks, mental stimulation with varied chew toys etc to give the younger dog something else to think about. Thanks Scotty

Reply to Scotty
Posted by: Lieke | 2011/09/27

Thanks Scotty, however the younger brat is not eating, and as miserable as hell. Im assuming this is in reaction to the lack of attention from his older companion?

Reply to Lieke
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/09/27

Take care, Scotty

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert