Posted by: Bobbels | 2009-03-01

Dogs hard swollen mammory glands and lum

I have a 9 yr old fox terrier maltese poodle cross. It had its first litter at 7months and then 3 more only 4 puppies at a time. Between the hindmost sets of teats and rear it is very swollen and hard. It is very sensitive and someplaces red. Just before the sets of teats is lump which is size of a nicklebol and is slowly getting bigger. When I pick her up she yelps. She occasionally gets fits of shortness of breath and coughs. Please advise as to what it could be and course of action.

Thanks for attention and time

Dear Bobbels

It can be mammary cancer with possible spread to the lungs. You need to go to your vet.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-01

The only possible course of action is to take her to the vet immediately. She may well have an infection that could be life-threatening if you wait any longer.

Please at the same time discuss having her spayed - if she does have such an infection, this may be the only course of action anyway. It sounds to me like 3 times 4 puppies, plus the first litter, is way too many for her to have had anyway - I wonder if you know what became of them all. I could hazard some guesses...

Reply to Chill