Question
Posted by: Therena | 2012/10/17

Dogs eating their own faeces.

I have 3 dogs, yorkie (4yrs), pekingnese (2yrs) and a daschund (12yrs).

They have pellets that are available all day to them and at night I feed them tinned dog food, however my dogs (the yorkie and pek) continue to bring dry faeces into the house and eating it.

This results in their breath smelling real bad and I find this absolutely disgusting.

I have changed the brand of their food numerous times to see whether it is a specific brand be it off the shelf of vet food and still it continues.

My dogs are my life, but even this makes me reluctant to cuddle and play with them because of all the potential bacteria that must be crawling in their mouths.

Please please please help!!

P.S. I would really appreciate an email in response.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Therena, this is seldom a physical problem, more likely to be behaviour related and what makes it worse is that dogs then start to mimic the other dogs behaviour.
What you can do is first of all management - pick them up as soon as possible. You can also try to get some special enzymes from the vet that make the poo taste terrible (although thankfully I have not tried!) or alternatively grate some raw pineapple into the food - this too can help with some dogs.
Rather than have food available all day, feed twice a day and pick up empty food bowls and put them away. this will enable you to see at a glance if any of your dogs are off their food (often first sign of sickness) and your dogs will start a more regular elimination regime making it easier for you to use management.
The reason for this behaviour are often stress and boredom, so I would suggest getting dogs out for daily walks and when they are at home giving them varied chew toys which will keep them busy and entertained. I have put a link to an article on this to give you more information. Nice to have been in touch and do let me know how you go. Thsk Scotty
http://www.friendsofthedog.co.za/why-does-my-dog-eat-poo.html

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/10/17

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert