Question
Posted by: Stacey | 2011/02/16

Dogs ear

My dogs ear swelled up suddenly , the vet said it was some blood thing in his ear (cant remember the name) caused from scratching or movinh his ear too much , the vet wants to operate they said they must make holes in the ear and sow on a sponge, speaking to a collegue they said their dog had one and the vet simply drained it , what is the bset course of treatment

I would always try the conservative approach first - Drain the fluid from the ear and then I would inject a anit-inflammatory into the ear. The Vet must always treat/ look for underlying ear problems . The ear is swollen again after 2-3w then consider surgery

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/02/17

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011/02/16

It''s a haematoma - bleeding inside the ear flap. Sometimes it hurts like hell, sometimes it doesn''t hurt at all. Sometimes it can be drained, mostly they have to sugically ensure the various layers (skin/cartilage) remain properly lined up, because they have been forced apart by the accumulation of blood.

If you don''t let the vet use his expertise to do the job properly, you will most likely end up with a dog with a cauliflower ear - all frazzled up and ugly. I''ve chosen this route with a really old dog, that couldn''t take an anaesthetic any more, and although she was still the same dog, she looked really weird with her tiny wrinkled up weird ear.

Reply to Chill