Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/10/28

Dogs, Bones and over feeding...

Hi there,

I am concerned about my Jack Russel. Please advise me if I am incorrect in being concerned, and if the following is okay:

My inlaws are visiting, and the dog' s diet has changed drastically... she is given a cooked marrow bone every morning, and is being fed all sorts of (human) foods like chips, rice, leftovers etc... and too much food in my opinion.

I have notcied that she struggles to pass stools  only passing tiny balls every so often. She looks constipated, and then after the hard balls of stool were passed, she passed a very running stool.
During the weekend she also got sick and vomitted. This has not happened prior to them visiting.
I have asked that they don' t change her diet ike this, but would like to know from you if I am being overly paranoid, or if there is reason for concern.

Please advise...

Dear Anon

The more bones dogs eat the harder the faeces. There are both arguments for and against bones, human food etc. Best to read 'feed the dog a bone' and make up your own mind.

3
Posted by: Cybervet | 2009/10/29

Dear Anon

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2009/10/28

Unless the dog is otherwise unwell, I doubt you have a lot to worry about.

However, I wouldn' t be REQUESTING your visitors to respect your decisions about the dog - I would be TELLING them that you will take care of the dog' s feeding schedule, period.

If a dog is passing stools, it' s not constipated. If he' s eating more bones than usual, then what you describe is normal, and the alternating stool types is, I' m sure, directly connected to his current food intake.

Why not take the dog for a little drive on your own, and then tell the folks the vet says not to feed him garbage?

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Kate | 2009/10/28

I know what it is like having someone interefer with your feeding regime.
Start by letting the dog have a raw marrow bone in the morning, it is better if cut length ways then they can get out the marrow and claen their teeth on the harder bits but make sure the bone is recreational and is taken away to prevent ending up with splintered bone etc.
I would also get something top relieve the constipation. The vomiting could be from constipation
Because you have compromised I would then put my foot down at the excess food scraps. Perhaps let them put the scraps in a dish and you then pick out 1 or 2 pieces to give to her.
Dogs do not need to many carbs.

Reply to Kate