Question
Posted by: Kathy | 2011-12-18

Dogs Barking/Aggressive at Gate

I finally cracked this morning. I am having terrible problems with my dogs barking and showing aggression at our gate. We have a number of people who allow their dogs to come right up to our gate and bark and chase my dogs up and down the gate and make no effort to stop them. My dogs used to be fine and just ignore other dogs, but unfortunately, a while back, we had an awful man that actually used to encourage his dog to attack other dogs through gates/fences. My one dog actually got bitten which has made her gate behavior even worse. My dogs now just see all dogs on the other side of the gate as the enemy and become vicious barking monsters. I also have 2 elderly dogs just across the road that bark at the slightest movement of a leaf, which then naturally start my dogs off. I have tried being calm &  assertive, I have tied “ owning”  the gate and the pet corrector spray. This morning I turned into a banshee. This frightened the dogs (and a small boy) for all of 2 seconds and then they were back at it. I have heard of an anti bark device that you can attach to a wall or tree which emits an unpleasant ultrasonic sound as soon as dogs bark. Do you think this would work? Ideally, I want the whole gate area to become an unpleasant place for both my dogs and other peoples dogs &  that neighborhood dogs will learn to avoid coming up to my gate. My concern is that the increase in adrenalin and natural instinct to protect will just override the ears and brain saying that there is a horrible sound. Or can you suggest any other deterrent? I just don’ t want to give the neighbors a reason to complain. I will be grateful for any suggestions. Kathy

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Kathy, I really feel for you, this is a horrible situation and to think that people allow their dogs to engage in this type of behaviour is beyond belief!

there is an anti-bark product that attaches to the dog's collar and either emits an electric shock or sprays Citronella oil on them, but I have never heard of one that attaches to a pole, gate or similar. There is also an electric beam that blocks the dogs from going through the gate, but this would probably result in the dogs barking and performing at a distance rather than stopping them altogether.Personally I dont like using devices such as above at all, and would rather look for ways of changing the behaviour completely.

My first suggestion would be to call in a behaviourist as you are going to need help with this. You will need to raise yourself (and family) in the combined human/canine hierarchy, teach the dogs an excellant recall, teach an excellant wait/stay and show them they are not allowed to go to the gate at all. You also need to examine as to why the behavious is happening - yes the other dogs are making it worse, but the dogs are showing a lack of attention to you and boredom/frustration could well be part of the problem.

An easier way of fixing this is management - dont allow the dogs into this section of the garden at all. At the same time you could bring in the changes that are required to rasie you in hierarchy, get the dogs to listen to you etc. Please either contact me via my e-mail at scotty@scottysdogs.co.za or else have a look at www.animal-behaviour.org.za to find an accredited behaviourist in your area. Sorry I can not be of further assistance, but this really is a situation wherein you need to call in the help of a behaviourst before the situation gets worse and another dog gets bitten or your dogs may turn on one another and fight (redirected aggression). Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-12-19

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert