Question
Posted by: Anathi | 2012/02/20

dog''s adjustment

I recently got a dog, a german sheppard from my friend living in the surbubs and i''m in the township, my dog has a problem adjusting to life in the township, it''s been two weeks now, how can I help him to get up to speed?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hello Anathi, it is a big adjustment for a dog, just moving homes, never mind possibly moving to a totally different environment and size of garden perhaps. What the best thing would be is to speak to your friend that gave you the dog and find out what the dogs daily schedule was like and try and follow that i.e. if dog was allowed in the home (which is important for bonding and when you take on a dog it becomes part of the human/canine pack), then make sure allowed in for company, feed the same food, take for the same amount of walks and exercise etc. It can take some time for a dog to settle - just like a child going to a new school, so be patient and loving with him and show him what you do want. Good luck, Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/02/20

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert