Question
Posted by: Glen Matthysen | 2010/02/03

Dogs

I have 2 minature Daschund' s. The female dog is about 8 years old and has been sterilized. My problem lies with our male dog. He is about 19months old, and even though he has outdoors access all day, he pees in the house. The main problem though is that he pees on our bed, against our pillows and on our bedding, as well as on their bedding that are in their beds. They each have seperate baskets for sleeping. I regularly have to wash this as he constantly is wetting this. At first I thought this was only happening in the daytime while we are at work, but he even does it in the evenings when we are at home. Will the matter be resolved if I have him neutered?

Dear Glen

Neutering may help but have him checked out for a bladder infection of crystals in his urine.

4
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/02/08

Dear Glen

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: jacky | 2010/02/04

Wow, vrye denker - you are certainly not an animal lover. I' ve seen some of your other posts and am disgusted with you: shoot the cat (for the person who asked what to do about a cat that comes into her garden)? Put a clothespeg on a dog' s penis? PLease stop wasting people' s time with your idiotic attempts at being funny (unless of course you' re serious, in which case, I' d love to get my hands on you) which only encourage fools to think animal abuse is ok. Get off this forum if you don' t have constructive feedback.

Reply to jacky
Posted by: Vrye Denker | 2010/02/04

A clothes peg on his winky will teach him the lesson in no time. Just make sure you catch him in the act so that he knows the punishment is linked to the crime.

Reply to Vrye Denker
Posted by: Chill | 2010/02/03

Neutering will probably help quite a bit - but you also have a dominance issue here. If this dog could pee in your eye, he probably would. I' ve had to deal with male mini dachsies before, and they must be the bolshiest dogs per Kg that exist!

You' ll need to tighten up and demonstrate to him that he' s not the boss - do this by ignoring him totally, until he' s earned attention - combined with rigorous house-training, which would also involve barring him from areas he' s not allowed to widdle in.

If you can, it would probably be useful to talk to a behaviourist - your vet should be able to refer you to someone.

Reply to Chill