Posted by: TLC | 2010-03-04

Doggy Dramas, Please help

i need some advice urgently. I''m not sure who else to direct this question to.

We are a young couple and rent. We rescued a dog 3 years ago, Stacey has always lived with us since, when we moved to a new place she started to jump the little excuse for a wall into the neighbours yard, he complained regularly and the landlords would not let us put anything to block her from jumping. He complained to the police so we were forced to remove her from the yard, we were not in a position financially to move to a place were she was allowed straight away. My sister-in-law has a secure yard and other dogs, she offered to keep Stacey for us until we could take her back (however long that takes), i offered her food every month and she declined (she new our financial position at the time). Recently Chris(my boyfriend) went to work on the ships and his sister went overseas for a few months, coincidently over the same time period. Prior to her going overseas Chris''s mom and her dog who was retrenched moved into her house with her. When Chris''s sister left to go overseas she left enough money for her to feed all the animals for the amount of time she was gone. However a month ago i discovered she had given my dog away. Chris was still on the ship and Candice(my sister-in-law) was still overseas. She did not inform me that she was going to do so, i luckily found out the very next day. I told her i will take the dog back as she had no right to give away something(an animal) thatisnt hers, she verbally abused me, so i went to the person(Chris''s aunt) who took the dog to fetch the dog, she also verbally abused me. Chris''s moms reasoning is that she never had money to feed the dogs, but she never asked me for help or to remove the dog. They refused to give the dog back saying because i haven''t fed the dog in so many months she is no longer mine, however i offered to feed the dog several times. Candice Kindly told me she will pay for dog food and i must not worry about it.

Chris''s family is craze to be polite, so i left it at that and waited for Chris to come home to sort it out. Chris and his sister are both back. Candice confirms the food story and is prepared to be witness against her mom and her aunt. The mother is trying to be all friendly with us despite what she has done and she refuses to help us get her back. We know were she is but if we go there and remove her they can charge us with trespassing.

What are our rights? How do we go about getting her back legally and fast? its been to long now, that poor dog has such a short life! Can we go to the police station and lay a charge of theft? will police officers accompany us to the house to forcibly remove my dog? or do we need to go to lawyers?

I want this over as fast as possible, especially becuase i do not know what treatment she is getting

Expert ImageFamily law expert

I would suggest that you direct your question to the forum at as this is a Family Law Forum.

Posted by: Family law expert | 2010-03-05

Reply to Family law expert