Question
Posted by: Janet Prentice | 2011/09/07

Doggie behavour problem

I have 4 animals at home - 2 cats - Jet - about 18 years
Coco about 5 years who adopted us when she was a kitten.

Merlin an 18 month old Alsation and Jessie a 2 year old cross Chihuahua. Jessie came to me when she was 5 weeks old. When she cuddles she actually sucks my ear like a dummy and then falls asleep still attached to your ear.

Jessie usually chases the cats when she sees them but has now recently taken to attacking Jet (the old cat) as soon as she sets sight of her and she goes for Merlin (the Alsation) bitting him on the paws and lips if he comes anywhere near her.

This behavour is getting worse and I would like to know what I should do to try and stop this. Jessie is very possessive over us and even sleeps in the bed. Last night was the first night that she actually slept in her own little bed!

I would like to make our lives and that of my fury friends a little happier. Please help

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Janet, how nice to hear about your animals! What is happening with Jessie, is due to her being taken away far too young from her mum. What you can do with this behaviour, is just gently push her away. She will keep on trying over and over but will eventually give us.
It sounds to me like you have a situation wherein Jessie is not recognizing you (and rest of family) as the pack leaders. When we bring dogs into our lives we automatically create a combined human/canine pack and it is very important to a dog (especially one like Jessie wherein she never expereienced the most cirtical 5-8 weeks period) to show the dogs that we are in charge. When the dog realizes this, it will relax more and be more likely to listen to you, rather than just ignore you now when she is chasing the cat!
Due to the circumstances and the liklihood of her behaviour towards the cat getting worse and inuury being done to the cat, I would seriously recommend that you get in a professional to help you so that this situation can be stopped once and for all. Have a look at www.animal-behaviour.org.za for a behaviourist close to you, or contact me via my e-mail and i will put you in touch with somebody i know.
Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/09/08

Thanks Scotty

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert