Question
Posted by: Gail | 2008/08/27

Dog' s ear infection

My vet diagnosed my dog with ear infection. He gave me tablets and ointment to treat her. The tablets I can can give her without a problem but she won' t let me put in any ointment. She won' t let me touch her ear and when I do,she bites me. The vet said the only way her ear will get better is if I give her the ointment. I took her back and asked him to do it, but she bit him also. She hates visiting the vet for any rason and she always throws a major tantrum when we do go. And it' s not only the ear we can' t touch, I can' t even clip her nails or anything like that. Very defensive when we try to help her. What can I do? I don' t think my vet knows what to do either because she bites him too. At the moment I' m just giving her prednisone tablets to take the itch away.

Dear Gail

Ask your vet to buy a mikki muzzle for you. The dog cant bite with this on. If still to jumpy may be worth giving a anaesthetic, flush the ear and have a good look.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/27

What kind of dog is this?

Ears can be VERY sensitive, and few dogs like having them messed around with, especially if they' re already sore from being infected.

Lots of dogs don' t like having their nails clipped, either - I' ve encountered a few of those.

One thing, though. I will never, ever, not under any circumstances, tolerate my dog biting me. Not EVER. And they know it - none has ever tried, no matter what I' ve had to do to them. But that' s because I am the boss and they know it simply will not be accepted - you need to achieve this status in their eyes. Easier said than done, perhaps - do some research into dog dominance, and see if you can work on that! Apart from your own safety and wellbeing, having a dog you can work with under all conditions can save their lives too - consider what would happen if she was even injured and needed first aid!

Reply to Chill