Question
Posted by: Estelle | 2011-05-31

Dog with Puppies

Hi. My 9 month old minature Dobermant had puppies 2 days back.. She is feeding them but I see that 2 of her teets are swolen alot and she also have a slight fever. Is this normal and what can I do to relieve the tenderness and swelling?

Answer:
Swelling of the mammary glands 2 days after whelping could be consider to be normal especially if there is stasis of milk in those specific glands. This could be eased with cold packs (ice wrapped in a small towel). But I would urge you to rather have a vet look at your dog should you be worried about a fever, because infection of the mammary glands would require medical intervention.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2011-05-31

No, this is absolutely not normal, and if she is showing symptoms of not being well then you need to get her to the vet urgently, both for her own and for her puppies'' sake.

A 9-month old puppy is FAR too young to breed from, it is not even permitted by the Kennel Union - PLEASE make arrangements to have her spayed as soon as the vet tells you it can be done.

Please do not mess around with home remedies for her swollen teats/fever - she quite possibly has mastitis, or even milk fever, and this can be very dangerous. She needs medical help.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Cybervet | 2011-05-31

Answer:

Reply to Cybervet