Posted by: KITTY | 2009-05-05

Dog with one eye??

Hi there. Just want to know, how well does a dog function with only 1 eye? We recently had to remove our dogs right eye. I wanted to have him put down, but my husband and I deciced to just have the eye removed, as he is otherwise fit and healthy.

Dear Kitty

It depends on your dog how well he will function.

I think dogs are very resiliant, they adapt so fast, my brother has a dog who only has one eye, she lost her eye when a bigger dog attact her, but now she' s almots 10years old and a very happy doggie

Posted by: Chill | 2009-05-05

Must say, I' d find it hard to justify putting down a dog for such a reason.

They need to adjust, and after that will be fine.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Kitty | 2009-05-05

That makes sense Kate, thanks. I love him so much, and I' m glad in a way now, that I did' nt put him down. He plays like he used to, and are always happy to see us, so he brings joy to the household, I was just scared that he wouldn' t cope with only 1 eye.

Reply to Kitty
Posted by: Kate | 2009-05-05

It will take a while for you to get used to it but my friends have a one-eyed dog and he is just fine, just a little more cautious then he was.

Reply to Kate