Question
Posted by: Fiona | 2010/04/14

Dog with itchy feet

My dog is a 3 year old male cross-breed who is a very happy and active dog. For a few months now his paws annoys him terribly and he will lick them for hours and they are now a permanent bright pink colour. I have been to the vet and R 900 later all I have is that it MAY be a protein allergy which should clear up in 4 months. Is there nothing I can do to help relieve this itching? He has been on a diet for 2 months now and it only seems to be getting worse! (I think my vet is an idiot!)

Dear Fiona

Allergies is a very complex thing to try and treat and most people like you go to a vet for a quick 'shot' to make it better and if that does not work the call the vet an idiot. It is people like you that I try to avoid at all cost.

5
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/04/16

Dear Fiona

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Aminal lover | 2010/04/14

We took him to the vet twice and the cortizone tabs did not help.
I have ezcema so i used some of my dermovate cream on my Jack Russell for 3 nights in a row and no more itchy feet. The vet also confirmed that its okay to use Dermovate on him.

Reply to Aminal lover
Posted by: Concerned | 2010/04/14

My 8 yr old spaniel had the same thing. He eventually became paralyzed from a pinched nerve in his neck. The itching in his feet was actually pins and needles.
Spend the money and take your dog to a great vet. It cost us about R5000 but he''s up and running - never better - 2 years later!

Reply to Concerned
Posted by: selma | 2010/04/14

My " grandson"  is a 5 year old Jack Russel. He has a skin problem, the vet does''nt want to give him more cortizone have try basically all pet food.

Reply to selma
Posted by: Fiona | 2010/04/14

ps- it is limited only to underneath his paws - he has had no hair loss or any symptoms on the rest of his body

Reply to Fiona