Question
Posted by: Lyla | 2010/05/20

dog very skinny

Good day,

I have a 2yr old husky x. He has got long hair so you can not see ribs. But when I run my fingers down his spine and ribs I can feel every hump of his spine and every rib, I am worried as he was not always this skinny, he started getting this skinny after we had him fixed.

He is eating well, he gets 200g food in the morning and then 400g in the evenings. he is very active as we live on a plot and there is a lot of running space and water is always available.

I have two labradors as well and they are not that skinny , they are a healthy weight, and you cant see their ribs and spines.

I am really worried about him and i am afraid that we cant afford these very expensive foods that the vet recomended like vets choice ect.

please help me if there is another food that can be bought at a suppermarket that is not that expensive as i have three dogs to feed and use about 30kg of food a month and is a high calorie dog food a good idee and if so what foods would be high in calories?

thank you

Hi Lyla

I would try the following

a) Deworming - 3-4 x year
b) Improved nutrition - premium brands (active breed diet) or home made diet(check the internet). The important factor is a good quality digestable protein. Check his stools and ensure that they are properly formed - if they are watery then he may have a digestive problem that could be food related or due to an underlying gut problem
c)Stress can also be a large factor - you need to ensure that the dog gets plenty of exercise both inside and outside your plot. Rescue Remedy is only a short term solution.

As a rule of thumb you should not be able to see the ribs but feel them easily on thorasic palpation.

You must get his weight and then weigh him on a regular basis. Use the bathroom scales.

Remember that there are other medical condition that can cause significant weight loss and you may need to go for a health check-up at your local vet

3
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/05/21

Hi Lyla

I would try the following

a) Deworming - 3-4 x year

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2010/05/20

It would help if you would specify what food you''re giving - a small amount of good quality food would quite often contain more nutrients than three times the same volume of ''ordinary'' food.

As a general guide, you should be able to feel the dog''s ribs, but not see them - which of course doesn''t help at all with a long-haired dog.

By the way - Rescue Remedy is perfectly safe for dogs.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Anne | 2010/05/20

Have you dewormed doggy? That is often the cause. If yes, maybe doggy is stressed. Maybe some tissue salts of rescue will help (not sure if rescue is safe for animals but tissue salts are, maybe number 2, 8 or 12)

Reply to Anne