Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2009-02-09

Dog trouble please help

My three dogs actually its one dog ( a 3 year old female boerboel cross something, named Julia) and two puppies a 7 month old male Boerboel (Floyd) and a 41/2 month old female GSD (Serena). Julia and Floyd were both " fixed"  last week. Now my problem is they keep running out the gate and attack our neighbours dog which is forever barking. At least once a day they run over and rough him up a bit and come back home. We normally don`t keep the gate closed as our household is pretty busy with people coming and going but after seeing these " attacks"  we`ve been closing the gate. Now the problem is that with keeping the gate closed the dogs especially Floyd become a bit aggressive to any unknown person that enters the yard. Firstly how do I " train"  my dogs not to go out the gate unless they are with me? Secondly I understand that these dogs are simply using their instinct to protect their territory but I`d like to knowshould I be concerned with their aggression?

Dear Boerboel Owner

Find a good behaviourist and spend lots of time with him/her.

Posted by: kirsten | 2009-02-16

in " last resort"  cases, you can actually get containment fences - which create a psychological barrier to keep your dogs within your property, even if your gate is open. However in your case, I think chatting to an animal behaviourist and getting some basic training would be the best. they worked wonders on my GSD.

Reply to kirsten
Posted by: Big Dog Lover | 2009-02-10

Hi Boerboel Owner  have U ever thought of instlling a bell at your gate? Would it be practical? It works well for us, maybee it' ll work for you too.

Reply to Big Dog Lover
Posted by: WR | 2009-02-09

It is a double-edged sword.
Build them a kennel-run where you can keep them away from others entering your yard in the daytime.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2009-02-09

Thanx for ur comments guys. And WR that is why I posted here because I understand my responsibility of keeping both my neighbours and dogs safe. Big Dog Lover I actually do walk my dogs daily for about 1/2 an hour to an hour and they are very well behaved on our walks even at home they are quiet obedient. I have decided to keep the gate closed to avoid any further problems.But that leaves a problem of them being so protective. Should it be a concern that they behave in that manner cos if the gate is open anyone can walk in and out of our yard but as soon as we close the gate they go into defence mode.

Reply to Boerboel Owner
Posted by: Big dog lover | 2009-02-09

Make enquiries to see if there is a dog club in your area. At a club there are always people who can help U train your dogs + where the dogs can socialize with other people + other dogs. Eventually it becomes a fun outing for them. Also very important that you walk them regularly. At the dog club U will also learn how to walk + handle them properly. It then becomes fun for both dog + owner.

Reply to Big dog lover
Posted by: WR | 2009-02-09

WTH??? Keep them locked away in the day time.
No offense - but if you were my neighbour - and your dog comes and ' roughs'  my dog up once a day - you' d be looking at a court-case..... that is if the SPCA couldn' t help.
It' s called responsibility. You have one to keep your dogs and others outside your property safe.

Reply to WR