Posted by: shelly | 2010-02-22

Dog that bites the worker, please help

I have a very loving border collie that is a house dog, she loves people and is very playful and lovable, she is 6 years old, had all her injections and is very healthy. The only problem is she does not like the maid or the gardener and when i get home from work or am around she bites them.

When she was a puppy they use to tease her and now she cannot stand them especially when we are home, when we are away at school and work she hides from the workers but just let us get home and she wants to bite them.

When I got home today the maid left the premises the dog got out and bit her on the leg i had to take her to hospital for a tetinus injection and four stiches. How can i over come this problem as she was teased by the maid when she was a puppy.

Even when we talk as a family and we mention the maids names she goes beserk barking and looking out for her. What should i do, the dog is part of the house and he sleeps inside at night. I am so worried someone would can and poison her to get rid of her. Please help what can i do?

Dear Shelly

I suggest that you find a good behaviourist that can come to your house and help you to find a solution.

Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-02-25

Dear Shelly

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010-02-24

You both need to either read up on dog behavioiur, or consult a behaviourist. It is perfectly understandable that your dogs dislike the workers - in both cases, the workers maltreated the dog, and it is absolutely logical that the dogs now respond aggressively.

However, I quite agree that something needs to be done - the dogs need to be ''desensitised'', and the workers are going to have to co-operate in this. Either that, or the dogs are going to have to be confined away from the workers whenever they are there.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: anon | 2010-02-22

My gosh, reading your post, it feels like I could have written it. I have a similar problem with my 5 1/2 year old german shepherd. The gardener I had never made friends with her as a puppy and used to push her away with the broom and spray her with water from the hosepipe - since then she tries to attack hosepipes - brooms and vacumn cleaners and hates the gardener! She has also bitten him (in front of me) only when I went out to speak to him. Apparently when I am not home she is ok with him, will keep her distance and not worry him at all.

He has since become very ill and left my employment. I have had to employ a new part time gardener and I have had to keep my dog indoors for fear she will attack the new gardener. I take her outdoors on lead for a walk down the road but if she sees the gardener when I return she pulls and barks at him.
How can I get my dog to " accept"  the new gardener. I understand her reaction is trying to protect me but it is very disturbing.

I had taken her to puppy socialisation when she was young and puppy and dog training with other people and dogs and she was fine.

Thanks in advance

Reply to anon