Question
Posted by: Ben | 2011/07/26

dog swimming in pool

Hi doc how do I stop my 1 year old white Swiss Sheppard from swimming, it is going on even through winter.
The problem is she sleeps in the house and at times she smells bad, and more the issue she is ruining my pool with sand on the steps hair on the water and in the basket and 2 broken leaf eaters.
I have put up pooch fence (then she just waits it out) I have smacked her bum chasing her out the pool and even punnished her by letting her sleep outside if she was still wet, nothing seems to help. Please tell me what to do

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Ben, not an easy one to solve unless you use management such as putting a cover over the pool or fencing off so that she cant get there.
If you are prepared to put in the time and effort you can train her not to go near the pool but this really is a huge amount of work and is not always sucessful as dogs like this will often stay away from the pool when you or family is around, but the second ytou leave - away she goes!
The dog obvisiously loves the water and is getting a lot of exercise and enjoyment out of it, so i would suggest some type of permenant management instead.
Smacking her or shouting at her is not going to help. Unless a dog is 'caught in the act' she will only associate the punishment occurring when she comes to you as you cant smack her when she is in the pool. All this will do is to destroy your existing bond.
Sorry cant offer any more solutions! Good luck, Scotty

2
Posted by: Dolly | 2011/08/11

I see, I suspope that would have to be the case.

Reply to Dolly
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/07/26

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert