Question
Posted by: Christie | 2010/07/09

Dog spinal injury

My dog was injured when he was about a year old, a likkewaan hit him with his tail on our farm. He was paralyzed and crying like a baby that entire night. We took him to a vet who said that it is a spinal injury and he will probably never walk again.He was treated for about 2 months by this specific vet, and started walking again.Slowly but surely he recovered but he is now 5 years old and battles with his back legs (I give him rimadyl or something like that daily), as well as his shoulder started recently.I feel so sorry for him because he is in constant pain and back spasm,and he battles to get up in the morning.He still runs around now and then but on cold days he doesn''t even get up to do " business" .He was sterilised a year ago and since put on A LOT of weight, even though we don''t give him anything except pellets. I really am worried about him and I don''t want him to suffer like this.Should he be put down or be on meds for the rest of his life?

Hi Christie

I cannot comment on the condition as I have no knowledge of what the actual problem . What I can say is that if you suspect that he is in pain then I would advise that you keep him on pain killers for the rest of his life. In addition I advise that you put him on a low cal diet (check out the premium dog foods) and this will assist with weight loss. In terms of pain killers - one can use Metacam, Rimadyl and also preds 5mg tablets - the latter I find very effective for spinal problems. Please note however that preds do have side effects long term.

It is difficult for me to suggest that he be put down - what you need to realise is that he must have quality of life and should be happy in his environment. If he doesn't have the latter then euthanasia maybe considered, but first try the medication.

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/07/09

Hi Christie

Reply to CyberVet