Posted by: calway | 2008-11-20

Dog Sexuality

My 6 month old miniture doberman has discovered his sexuality and is driving me up the wall. He wants to hump everthing and everybody in sight. My poor 3 month old male Boerboel puppy does not know what is happening. This means they I am unable to leave the dogs alone. Please help

Dear Calway

Have him neutered ASAP and buy a spray bottle to spray him with if he starts his funny stuff.

Posted by: Chill | 2008-11-20

I would tend to agree with Boerboel owner (at the risk of offending Behaviourist again!) that this is more likely to be a dominance issue. However, the advice to have the dog neutered is totally valid, especially considering the ' finished size'  of the two dogs in question - once that Boerboel develops a bit of machismo of his own, the little one won' t stand a chance if he' s still feeling bossy.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2008-11-20

I`m no expert when it comes to dog behaviour but from what I`ve read on numerous books as well as on this forum humping sometimes has nothing to do with sexuality it can also be a dominance issue.

Reply to Boerboel Owner
Posted by: ABC | 2008-11-20

HAve him fixed before he starts marking his territory inside the house.
Also the 2 males might fight when older and they haven' t been fixed.

Reply to ABC
Posted by: butch | 2008-11-20

take him to the vet and get him fixed

Reply to butch