Question
Posted by: Nicci | 2012/05/09

Dog scratching Continuously

I need advice please? I have 2 jack russel puppies, and they are constantly scratching. I have tried everything I can think of. They definately don''t have fleas. I have changed thier food, I wash them regularly, I keep their bedding clean and they are on Bob Martin puppy supplements (they are only 5 months old)

Any advice?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Nicci, it sounds very much that your dogs have a degree of food intolerance or even an allergy that needs to be addressed. What I would suggest you do first, is to have a look at my free website for all dog lovers, www.friendsofthedog.co.za. go to the Heath Tab (on top) and under F-Food Intolerances, you will find an article on this subject. In the second paragraph it gives signs of food intolerances and then you will have a better idea is this could be the case.

I really would also suggest discussing this with your vet. Very often changing food does not help, especially if using one of the supermarket brands as the preservatives, or even the colourant used could be causing the itchy behaviour. If this is the case, you will need to consider changing to one of the vet brands. I personally prefer Maxhealth as it has only natural preservatives and the protein is fish, which because high in the Omega 3/6 oils goes a long way to helping without having to add supplements of omega 3/6 oils to the food.

Remember that whenever you do change food, do so over about a week, gradually adding in the new food and watching for any signs of it not agreeing with the dog.

Also, when you go onto a food that helps with intolerances, you need to only feed that food and cut out all treats etc for a 2 week period. Your vet can advise you about this more.

A further factor to consider is the shampoo you are using and would suggest you also speak to the vet about this and perhaps consider using an allergenic one to help. Good luck, Scotty

2
Posted by: Nicci | 2012/05/10

Thank you so much for your reply. Do suspect it my be the tinned puppy food I am giving them. Will have to wean them off that as well and stick to giving them just pellets.

Thanks again

Reply to Nicci
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/05/10

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert