Question
Posted by: Kobie | 2008/10/05

DOG SCARED OF FLIES

I have a 3 year old cross pom from the animal welfare, and my problem is that she is petrified of flies, specially the big green ones. Whenever one comes into the house she runs and hides in the darkest place that she can find, and will not come out, unless I spray with doom or pretend I' ve killed it. This goes on all day. Please help!!

Dear Kobie

This is a tricky one. Ignoring the issue may help. For you to get a positive association with flies will be very difficult.

I don't know if killing the fly and pretending to mix it into something vir tasty will work?

4
Posted by: TD | 2014/07/13

Hi all, I have a Pom mix that is now 10yrs old he has always been afraid of the Green flies (not afraid of any other fly just the green ones) he does not think its a bee as he will eat bee's in the house or in the yard. I have tried everything! He either has to be in my lap or under the bed. I guess a time or two I found the fly and killed it in front of him but generally if there is a green fly in the house anywhere even out side he is afraid!! I tried the treats and bones and playing with him and nothing helps, he just needs time to get over the fly and then he comes back out.. I got him from a pet store and he was a very scared puppy at 8 weeks old he was scared of everything and didn't not like to be petted?? other then what happened before I got him he has been a spoiled baby!! :) Would love to find a way to take his mind off of the flies!!

Reply to TD
Posted by: mb | 2008/10/08

Maybe she thinks it' s a bee..? This happened to one of my parents'  dogs a while back - my dad was working in the garden when a swarm of bees passed by and he and both dogs got badly stung. The one dog actually ran into the pool to get away, and ever since he' s also been afraid of flies!

Reply to mb
Posted by: Chill | 2008/10/05

This made me laugh - I had a hulking great German Shepherd who used to leave the room if there was one of those big brommers around... not because she was afraid of it, but because she hated the fly-swatter. And I never hit her with it, not even once - promise!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: WR | 2008/10/05

You are unwittingly reinforcing the behaviour. When a fly does come into the house, completely ignore it. Consistance is your anwer.

Reply to WR