Question
Posted by: Kiran | 2012/10/17

Dog scared of being alone

Up until recently we had 2 dogs. An adult German Shepard and a terrier puppy.

We adopted the German Shepard (Kayla) and her brother when they were puppies. Kayla is very loving and used to be very playful and energetic. When her brother died, she became withdrawn.

Last year we adopted a terrier and the two dogs bonded well and always were together. In July the terrier passed away and since then Kayla has become extremely nervous, always running behind us. And if we have to leave the house for even 10 minutes she goes into a panic.

Can you suggest what we should do to calm her? She''s around 7 years old now.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Kirian, oh the poor thing - two loses in a row, not wonder she is stressed! Ok, here I would suggest that you get in touch with your vet about her perhaps going onto medication such as Clomicalm for a few months to help her cope.

Start doing anything with her that she enjoys i.e. up the walks, agility, playing ball etc to help her get her mind off things.

It sounds as if she has started developing separation anxiety and trust me this is not somewhere you want to go! the ideal situation would be to get in a behaviourist that does TTouch to assist you. what I am doing is putting in a link to an article on separation anxiety for you to get started with, but please do get help if not working. You can get in touch with me at scotty@scottysdogs.co.za and let me know the area you are in and I will put you in touch with somebody.

Dont pay attention to the nervous behaviour, rather just ignore it and do as many things as you can with her to build her confidence again and get started with the modifications in the article if you are not getting somebody in. Thanks and do shout if I can help. the link is
http://www.friendsofthedog.co.za/separation-anxiety-in-dogs-by-scotty-valadao-ndash-accredited-animal-behaviourist-abc-of-satrade-ndash-ttouch-practitioner.html

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/10/17

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert