Posted by: Bee | 2008-12-08

Dog not listening

I have a 2 year old male dog that is driving me mad! He is a really obedient dog on the property and listens well to our commands. But the minute we open our gate he runs outside and no matter how loud we scream at him or call him he won' t come back in - he runs down the road and am worried he will get knocked down. If we chase after him he just runs faster and gets away from us - what can I do to try to get him to not run out the property?

Dear Bee

I think you need to consult with a behaviourist in your area. This will take a few sessions and hard to fix.

Posted by: Chill | 2008-12-08

First and foremost: fix your gate so he can' t run out, or hold him while it' s open - failure to do so can, as you have pointed out, cost him his life.

Take him to dog training classes.

Make sure he gets enough walks off your property, but on a lead.

Do NOT give chase if he runs away, this turns it into a sport, and he' ll outrun you ever time.

Consider having him neutered.

And above all - vasbyt. All male dogs go through this macho, rebellious stage, though some get it worse than others. Provided you establish your authority, he' ll grow out of it.

Reply to Chill