Question
Posted by: Jaci Cloete | 2011/05/26

Dog not eating

Hello, My 1.5 yr old dog (pavement special) refuses to eat from her bowl. She will be dead hungry, but will only eat when fed by hand. I''ve tried using another bowl for her, but this didn''t help. She will go without food for days. This started about 6 months ago and is so bad now that its driving me up the wall. What can I do?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Jaci, this can be a difficult one as the only way to really handle it is not to give in and unless she eats from the bowl she goes without. Having said that, do try a few of these suggestions:-
1. Warm up her food slightly so that it smells wonderful (to her at least!)and then pop in her bowl.
2. Place the bowl on a bucket, brick etc - some dogs just dont like bending down so far - this can also be breed dependent or physical.
3. Fry a little liver slowly so that it forms a bit of a gravy and put that in the bowl. If this works, then gradually add in her cubes.
Good luck, Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/05/27

Good luck, Scotty

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert