Question
Posted by: LYNDA | 2011/12/07

DOG MISBEHAVING

Please can you assist. Due to personal circumstances we had to put our 7 year old cross labrador in the kennels for a peroid of 3 months. He has now been back at home for 2 months but is showing signs of aggressive behaviour. He is killing numerous birds and lizards. He is digging up the garden. He has bitten all visitors family and friends. He has even bitten our cat in the face. Our cats and him have always just tolerated each other but he has never attacked them in any way. We have plenty of toys for him and we give him a toy each day to play with. When we want to play with him he bites us if we try and take the toy from him. He will even attempt to bite if we just move his bowl of food out the way. I really dont want this behaviour of his to become any worse. Is there anything we can do?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Lynda, I so wish I could help you via the forum, but you definately need to get in a professional to assist. Aggression is not something that can be helped via e-mail - a bit like giving scuba lessons by e-mail - you may drown! Additionally, a professional will always ask you, in cases of aggressive behaviour to get your dog checked by the vet first, as if there is a physical component at play, virtually nothing done from a behavioural point of view will help. Please contact me at scotty@scottysdogs.co.za and let me know where you stay and I will put you in touch with somebody I know. alternatively, have a look at www.animal-behaviour.org.za for an accredited behaviourist near you. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/12/07

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert