Question
Posted by: Adine Hattingh | 2010/05/03

Dog licking her butt

My dog (straided dog/Egypt) is licking her butt constantly for two days now. No fleas. Had a bath and Frontline (from South Africa) 2 weeks ago AND I dewormed her with Bayer Drontal (also from SA). What can be wrong? Can I deworm her again now (after 2 weeks)? Please help!!

Dear Adine.

Full anal glands cause this. Easily rectified by a vet.

5
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/05/07

Dear Adine.

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: eve1 | 2010/05/04

My dog periodically suffers from impacted anal glands for no apparent reason. She doesn''t exactly smell flower-fresh when this happens.They are impossible for me to squeeze in the way described above and the vet squeezed them by actually putting her finger inside the anus and squeezing one side at a time. It was quite painful for my dog, but it did the job. Afterwards I had to spray my dog''s butt with the hosepipe twice daily and also give her a gentle oily laxative twice daily, to keep her comfortable.

Reply to eve1
Posted by: Kate | 2010/05/04

In March I dewormed my dogs every 2 weeks for six weeks. In other words I did 3 applications 2 weeks apart.
I also made sure that I used a different type of deworming every time.
An impacted anal gland does not present itself on the outside - it is in the anal canal.
You have to squeeze gently but firmly on either side of the anus.
Be warned though that this is the most foul smelling thing you will every experience  )
Good luck and keep us updated.
Kate

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Adine Hattingh | 2010/05/03

I have checked, no swelling or sacs, NO proper vets in Egypt.....She is (I think) just over a year old. Can I deworm her again now (after 2 weeks)? I rescued her 3 months ago from the streets. She had her vaccinations.

Reply to Adine Hattingh
Posted by: Chill | 2010/05/03

Something isn''t comfortable for her - she may have impacted anal glands. Best to let a vet check her out.

Reply to Chill