Question
Posted by: Amanda | 2008/08/28

Dog licking bum

My Jack Russel female is constantly licking her bum. I took her to the vet a few times, but they say it' s normal and that her anal glands are not full of fluid. What can I do to get her to stop licking herself?

Amanda

Can also be whipworm. If the anus is red, Fissan paste for babies sometimes helps to heal and soothe. Difficult to give other advice on this one without having a look and a poke.

1
Posted by: Ginger | 2008/08/28

It is normal - dogs seem to be obsessed with it. Though check for flea bites or hot spots and treat them. Once a dog gets a spot they don' t stop unless it is healed up.

Maybe you could try something like dog tea tree oil - they don' t like the taste of it.

Reply to Ginger