Question
Posted by: Ruschda | 2011/09/21

dog keeps biting everything

keeps on biting my hands
anything especially tissue paper chews and swallows
irrespective of all his toys likes chewing on shoes and socks or anything chewable and if he bites bits off he swallows be it plastic, wood or paper etc

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Rushda, my first question to you would be - is your dog getting daily exercise by way of nice long interesting walks? Very often a dog that is kept in the garden is just bored stiff and engages in behaviour like this as it gets entertained plus the attention of its people by being shouted at (to a dog attention is attention whether negative or positive).
From a management point of view, be tidy and pick up the things you dont want the dog to chew on and you can also spray pure Citronella oil on things like furniture etc, but you need to reapply.
Supply the dog with varied (changing daily) rewarding toys such as cow hooves with some biltong jammed at the botton or an emply water/coke bottle. With this you boil water to fill up 3/4 of the bottle and add in about a 1t of marmite or bovril (not if dog has tummy problems or allergic)and a few pieces of dog food. Allow to cool, then freeze overnight. Take off the top and leave for the dog to play with in the garden - they love this! You can also get varied types of Kongs that you can fill with food etc to keep the dog entertained.
With the biting on your hand, next time he does it, scream like you have been hurt badly and stomp away. Come back a few seconds later and offer your hand and if he tries it again, repeat. The more of a noise you make the bigger impact you will have.
I would also suggest teaching the dog a leave command as well. Good luck and let me know how you go. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/09/21

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert