Posted by: Dragonfly | 2009-04-23

Dog in poor condition

Hi All,

Over the Easter weekend our neighbour’ s dogs ran out of the gate as they were leaving for the long weekend. We took the dogs in and managed to get them back into the yard the next day leaving a note on their door telling them to make sure the dogs are in the yard when they close the gate. The female is a ridgeback and the male is a collie X lab X something X something else. Both dogs are quite old and completely grey around the muzzle. The female dog was slightly underweight, but the male was extremely thin. Not quite emaciated, but getting there. The ribs were just visible and the backbone could clearly be felt with no fat layer. The abdomen and waist was very sunken. Both dogs had growths. The male had one on his leg and the female has one on her abdomen.

The owner has since returned, but is avoiding me. I want some answers on the condition of his dogs, but he is ignoring me. Now, I know old dogs tend to get thin at the end and a lot of old dogs have growths, so I’ m not sure if I’ m just over-reacting? I took pictures of the skinny dog. Can I mail the pictures to someone on this forum for a second opinion? I don’ t want to call in the SPCA unless I’ m absolutely certain that a form of abuse is taking place. These are my neighbours and its better not to rock the boat unless I really have to.
Thanks for your time.

Dear Dragonfly

I think the best thing to do would be to contact the SPCA and let them have a look and talk to the owner about their health and condition.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-23

Personally, I' d go knock on the neighbours'  door, tell them what happened, and then enquire in an interested way... ' how old are they?'  ' Gosh, they' re quite lively!'  ' What' s this thing on her tum?' 

Or, you could say: ' I couldn' t help noticing this lump, have you seen it?'  - you will soon figure out if they care about the dogs.

It' s a bit rough to report them to the SPCA based on what you have - the dogs ARE old - my one is 16 and has various little ailments and things - all well under control, as you would find out if you spoke to me about it nicely! I' d be very upset and offended to have the SPCA knocking on my door demanding answers..

Reply to Chill