Question
Posted by: S | 2010-01-29

Dog in pain

hi Doc

Please can you advise. My cross alsation female has been with us for 15 years. she is really battling with her hind legs and hardly walks and isnt her normal self. is there anything to buy to help her? i am so scared to take her to the vet because i know he is going to say she must be put down.

Dear S

Try (from the vet) Metacam and Tavan SP injections. If that does not work then you know what to do.

4
Posted by: Chill | 2010-02-02

I' m happy for you, Carrie - but what we' re talking about here is a large dog aged 15. Not quite the same thing.

Nevertheless, I hope S manages to find a similar solution.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: carrie | 2010-02-02

i have a daxie with back problems and the vet said to put her down as there was little hope of her getting any better. we did some aquatherapy and vet gave her metacam. it works like a bomb, we' ve not looked back!

Reply to carrie
Posted by: Chill | 2010-01-29

The reason you are scared about this is because of YOUR feelings if the vet says it' s her time to go. However, this isn' t about you - it' s about your dog. You do realise this, of course.

If it' s any consolation: if your dog' s life has become a burden to her, then she can only be deeply and profoundly grateful to you if you love her enough to let her go with dignity. It is an act of pure selflessness. Go to the vet, see if something can be done - if it can, wonderful. If not, then please stay with her during her final moments. You will learn that it is a totally gentle and painfree process, and you will realise too that dogs are the lucky ones, that aren' t forced to suffer endlessly.

I say all this from experience. I know how much it hurts, but I also know that it is absolutely the right thing to do.

Best wishes for both of you.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: steph | 2010-01-29

if your dog is at the stage that she needs to be put down I think you need to consider this. if she is in so much pain that she cannot walk,keeping her with you is for your pleasure only and not hers. i know this is a difficult decision, and i do not envy you at all.

you really need to take her to the vet, tell your vet of your concerns. you could try to supplement with devils claw as it does help but i suspect that things are too far along for your old friend now. having said that, there are treaments that are very good at dealing with this sort of thing, but you need to be fair to your dog and take her to the vets so that they can have a look and see what they can do for her.

all the best

Reply to steph