Question
Posted by: Me | 2010-08-11

Dog in heat

Hi there Cybervet

How long do dogs stay in heat? my Jack russel is currently in heat and my labradore keeps wanting to mate with her. We never got her spayed as we wanted her to mate with a friends dog, but they are unfortunately away this week. I dont know what to do!!
Can my labradore (he is 1 years old) impregnate her?

My aunt suggested i put a baby nappy on her for now? an i do that??

thanks in advance!

Hi Me

It is advisable that you separate the dogs until your JRT is out of season. Otherwise take her to the vet and get the season suppressed with the use of a hormone injection or get the bitch spayed.

I hope this helps

5
Posted by: Sandy | 2010-08-12

Yes, please have her spayed. There are enough black kids standing on the street corners here in PE with pups that they are now using to beg with. The pups are without food, water and shelter in the sweltering sun, the whole day. Don''t do it to them. I agree with Chill, I have seen the despair in their eyes too. So make the right choice, Me.

Reply to Sandy
Posted by: Ruby | 2010-08-12

A round of applause for Chill: Couldn''t have said it better myself.

Reply to Ruby
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-08-12

Hi Me

I hope this helps

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010-08-11

One day I was at TEARS, which is a no-kill animal shelter near Cape Town.

The way one dog was looking at me really gave me a jolt. It wasn''t trying to look appealing - it was more as though it was saying: Look, I didn''t ASK to be born, I didn''t WANT to burden the world, I can''t help it, but please, for God''s sake, could someone just please let me be with them until it''s over? It won''t be too long - and I''m willing to do what it takes to make you happy.
It suddenly became deadly serious. These poor dogs are on parade for their lives, while we just stroll past saying ''nah, not that one''. Or, we casually say: ''Popsie (or whatever) really should have a litter before we have her spayed''.

It made me feel quite desperate

Please don''t add to the burden of too many puppies in the world. The only reason to allow puppies is to improve the breed.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: ABC | 2010-08-11

Yes, the lab will impregnate her. A nappy won''t be of much help to stop a pregnancy, but will keep her from bleeding on everything.

Reply to ABC