Question
Posted by: GI NA | 2012/06/10

DOG HUMPING

WHY DOES MY FEMALE CHOC LAB ALWAYS WANTS TO GRAB MY LEG AND DRY HUMP IT, ESPECIALLY AFTER SHES EATS?????

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi there, without having more background it is difficult to say why this is happening, but it could be the dog demanding attention from you. If the dog has not been sterilized then more likely to happen. It could also be a form of 'dominant' behaviour.

Whatever the reason, it is not acceptable behaviour and it needs to be dealt with. I am going to put a few notes below on how to tackle this but I really would suggest that you read the article on the link on this site which will give you some basic House Rules to bring into place to raise you, and the rest of the family up in the combined human/canine pack. To a dog it is imperative that there is a natural leader and these simple points in the article will show you how to do it, and will lower the instance of behaviour such as you are experiencing happening. Also if you dog is intact, please have it sterilized.
1. Use management to stop the behaviour. Put down the dogs food and leave it alone to eat. You go out the room and close the door.
2. Peep through and when you see dog is finished, have a few treats in your hand, open the door, call the dog, ask for a sit and then verbal praise and give a treat. Take a few steps back, and repeat.
3. Then gets the dogs attention onto a nice chew bone or similar.
4. Attention should be given on your terms or not at all.
5. If the dog starts humping in other circumstances, extract yourself from its 'clutches', without speaking, looking at or shouting at the dog. When we moan at the dog for behaviours such as this, we are, inadvertantly, giving the dog the attention it wants. To a dog attention is attention whether negative or positive.
Good luck and do let me know how it goes. Thks S

http://www.health24.com/medical/Focus_centres/777-2268-2552-2678,62781.asp

2
Posted by: Stevie | 2012/06/14

HAHA.... FUNNY DOG...

Reply to Stevie
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/06/11

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert