Question
Posted by: Gail | 2011/12/16

Dog Howling

My dog (a Wiemaraner) howls whenever I leave my house.My neighbourse tell me he howls for hours without stopping. He is excitable when I arrive home but not uncontrollable. I work from home and generally there is always someone at home. Even when my son is at home the dog will howl when I leave.
Although my dogs are not allowed in the office during the day, they are house dogs, they sleep in mine or my sons bedroom and go in and out of the house as they please. We don''t often walk the dogs but we do live on 1/2 an acre so there is pleanty of room.

My neighbour is getting really upset with my dog. What can I do

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Gail, from what you say above it sounds like your dog suffers from a degree of separation anxiety. The Weimie, as a breed, is prone to this condition. the Wiemie is a working dog and needs to let off the excess energy. A dog has a sense of smell that is over 45 times stronger than us humans and although a 1.2 acre may seem like a lot of space to you, your dog knows every single blade of grass and scent that is there - outside stimulation really is a necessity.
Now, this alone may work for your dog, but what I would also suggest is doing some separation anxiety work as well to prevent this condition getting worse and assisting the situation with your neighbour. I am posting an article on just this subject on sunday evening on my free Friends of the Dog site, so do read it to see if your dog is showing signs of this behaviour (he is) and also how to go about solving it. the website is www.friendsofthedog.co.za.
In addition to starting the exercise (especially before you go out - helps to balance serotonin levels (happy hormone) and a tired dog is normally a good dog), start to keep a big chew bone or an Ox Femur to give to your dog just before you go out. Take this away when you come home. There is more info on this in the article as well.
Separation anxiety can become a really serious situation, so do try to prevent this from getting worse. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/12/16

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert