Question
Posted by: Alice | 2011/10/17

Dog hides from visotors

We have two huskies (both Female) 11 years old.
The ons craves attention, but lately whenever people comes to visit she disappears - even hiding and not comming when we call.
This has been going on for more or less a year.
(We have a baby of 15 months, but she loves the baby)

Any idea why she hides aways? Should we be worried?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Alice, it sounds to me like your dog has developed fear issues. this could well be physically related as she is now in her 'senior' years where arthritis, joint problems etc are more likely to happen, and if she has pain anywhere in her body, she could have been hurt by accident and is now avoiding people to be safe. If the demanding behaviour has escalated as well, she could be looking for reassurance due to a physical concern. Dogs do not always show pain the way people do and I really would suggest that firstly you take her to your vet for a full physical exam. If all is clear, then do contact me again and I will give you some tips on how to make people coming to the house to be a more positive expereince for her. Unfortunately is there is a physical component to the behaviour virtually nothing done from a behaviour point of view will help until the physical side has been sorted out. Do let me know how it goes at the vet and if i can assit further, thanks Scotty

4
Posted by: Colleen | 2011/10/23

We have 2 mini schnauzers (male and female), the male also disappears when visitors come. It seems to be mainly with male visitors and when rugby or soccer is on tv but not restricted to. He runs upstairs and hides in my shoe cupboard. I have tried distracting him with biscuits and playing with him outside, however, he responds for a short while and then hides again. I often feel torn between allowing him to do what he needs to do and trying to coax him out as I don''t want him to feel afraid. he is also nervous around loud noises, thunder, lawn mower. How can I handle his behaviour to help him?

Reply to Colleen
Posted by: scotty | 2011/10/20

Hi alice, it is often difficult for a vet to find out exactly where the pain is situated as dogs naturally try to hide their pain as it weakens them in the pack hierarchy. This often makes it very difficult for the vet to see exactly where the pain is. What i would suggest is to watch her carefully for a day or so and note that it hurts when sitting, seems to hurt to jump up etc and also try running your hands over all parts of her body and look for a reaction such as licking lips, turning head away, ears back, moving away, sitting down, when you touch any particular part of her body. This will give you an indication where the pain is and you will be able to tell your vet. We spend all day with our dogs and vets only a short while, so if you can make the job easier for them, the dog will benefit.
Your vet may decide to put the dog on pain medication or anti-inflamatories for a while to assist. I really would suggest that you try this first as it does sound like the behaviour is happening due to a physical concern and a week or so of pain medication may just do the trick in changing the behaviour. Do let me know how it goes, thanks Scotty

Reply to scotty
Posted by: Alice | 2011/10/19

We have taken her to a vet about two months ago. She could not find anything wrong.
However, I do know her back is probably painfull as both dogs were taught to sit before getting their food, she is not as comfortable sitting anymore, especially when it is cold.... we skipped the sitting routine during the winter, but now that its warm again both dogs are happy to sit again.

Reply to Alice
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/10/17

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert