Posted by: Rufus | 2009-02-15

Dog has food allergies?

My boerboel suffers from food allergies and we have been prescribed an only protein diet (ostrich) for him - can I give tin food which contains real meat or do I have to stick to the food which the vet prescribed.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Dear Rufus

If you are busy with anelimination diet even supplements, sauces and even chews should be eliminated to make sure that you are dealing with a food allergy. Straight forward food allergies are not common at all.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-02-15

If you' ve gone to the expense of consulting a vet, then I' d really recommend you follow his instructions.

Tinned food ' which contains real meat'  sounds wonderful - the trick is to separate out all the stuff it contains that ISN' T real meat - good luck with that!

If your vet' s diagnosis is correct, then you' ll only know by following his prescription exactly. Once the dog' s condition has stabilised, only THEN would you maybe start experimenting a bit to see what he tolerates.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: felicity | 2009-02-15

i would recommend giving the vet the benefit of the doubt and trying the prescribed diet for at least 8 weeks with no tin food or titbits at all in order to determine if the diagnoses is correct. Generally food or skin conditions are one of the most difficult veterinary complaints to " fix"  but really give the advise a good try before " tweaking"  any additions safe to give.

Reply to felicity
Posted by: Carol | 2009-02-15

Tin food is as bad as dry food IMO.

I have a kitten that has food allergies .. after traipsing back and forth to vets and been treated for all sorts of things. Giardia, coccidia etc etc etc.

I have now put him onto a completly RAW diet and he is already improving.

Do a google on RAW for dogs .. and do some research .. there is plenty of info available.

Reply to Carol