Question

dog has eye problem

My mixed breed (retriever type) 5 year old spayed bitch sometimes does not recognise us until we are just a few meters away. Her vision seems to be far less sharp than that of our other mixed breed (shepherd type) although her perception of movement is very good. I wonder whether she has a specific eye disease/condition, as just recently she had to have predniisone in addition to her usual allergex for her itchy skin and for the first time ever the whites of her eyes were really white and she had no discharge from her eyes (normal state is frequent slight discharge). Is this something separate or part of her allergy? Should she have eyedrops to use all the time? What must I watch out for to prevent blindness? Should I ask for an in-depth eye exam at this stage?

Dear Anon

Eye exam by a specialist here is the best way forward.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-23

What about an ordinary eye exam, just for starters? If the dog has had a chronic discharge, then it' s probably had a chronic infection or irritation.

Reply to Chill