Question
Posted by: Stacey | 2011/02/09

Dog growth

I have a pavement special ( looks beagle cross corky) he recently was in a fight with my other dogs but wasnt injured only a small flesh wound on his leg , which we treated with derma vet , now a week later a growth about the size of a golf ball have come up by his lower ribs , we took him to the vet last night and they put a needle in a removed a sample, ran some tests ( for white blood cells , bacteria etc) and they dont know what this is , they did pick up an infection and gave us antibiotics and anti inflammatories , there was no wound there . They said its not likely an absess as there was no ( low white blood cells) and there wasnt much to work on , they did say that there is alot of fat . What can this be ?? we have to take him back on monday

It may or may not be linked to the fight - A lot of fat on the sample suggests it may be a fatty lump (lipoma) but these rarely come up quickly. It could also be a seroma (fluid/ blood accumulation) after trauma . Continue with the a/biotic and I would definitely take him back on Monday

5
Posted by: Chill | 2011/02/09

Well, if he has an injury or something, then he''ll be ok lying on his other side until it''s cleared up.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Stacey | 2011/02/09

Tks Chilli

The problem is that he cant lie on that side

Reply to Stacey
Posted by: Chill | 2011/02/09

Hard to say, but it''s probably a cyst. Those are usually not hard though, so that''s possibly what is making it puzzling.

See how the antibiotics go, and let the vet take a look again next week. If the dog is happy and eating etc, then I would say you shouldn''t be too worried.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Stacey | 2011/02/09

Sorry just to add , he is in no pain even if you touch the growth , its hard , he is otherwise 100% ( eating , checked his stools and no blood etc) , its 100% internal the growth , and the vet said its non malignant

Reply to Stacey
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/02/09

Reply to CyberVet